I love a good jam, I love chilli jam even more, but of late I can’t seem to get my hands on chilli jam. The store always seems to be full of fig jam, apricot jam or strawberry jam, but no chilli jam.
The other night I was watching Lorraine Pascales cooking show on tv where I saw her making a quick and easy Asian chilli jam and I really just had to try it out.
The up side, was that even though at the time, while I was watching the show, I didn’t have a pen and paper close by to take down the recipe, I just happened to have Lorraine Pascales cookbook in my collection, so the most difficult part of the recipe, pulling it out from the bottom of the pile of recipe books that have seemed to taken up space on my desk.
The recipe is super easy and it tastes so delicious.
- 450g x tomatoes, washed.
- 2 x cloves of garlic, peeled.
- 2 x red chillies.
- 1 x cm piece of ginger, grated.
- 250g x castor sugar.
- 60g x balsamic vinegar.
- Salt and pepper to season.
- Place everything in your blender and blitz till nice and smooth.
- Pour into a saucepan and cook on medium high until the mixture thickens.
- Stirring occasionally to prevent the jam from sticking to the bottom of your pan.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a sterilised jug and allow to cool, once cool, pour into a sterilized bottle.