I have had this recipe since the beginning of time, but I just haven’t been able to get my hands on some bagels.
Every time I go to the store, they have either run out, don’t stock it anymore or they are still busy baking a batch. Talk about disappointment
Saturday past I went super late to the store and managed to bag me the last 4, I had to fight an aunty for it, she wanted 6 and was busy asking to speak to the manager, when I swooped in, bagged them dumped in the trolley and sped off in the opposite direction, pretending I was lost… what can I say I have an evil bagel side.
Every morning in our household is a rush, everyone seems to wake up at the same time and yet it is always me the one that makes breakfast that falls asleep while waiting for my turn in the bathroom and I am the one that rushes around trying to get breakfast made, tea made, lunch packed, car packed and all packed into the car in one piece.
But for this recipe I was prepared, I prepped everything the night before and while I was waiting for my turn in the bathroom I put the dish into the oven to bake and yes I was standing in front of the stove with sleep in my eyes and bed hair but a girl has got to do what a girl has to do.
It was surprising delicious, I thought with the egg filling the bagels would become soft but no they still kept their outside toasty crust.
This dish saved me big time because I took the left overs, popped them into lunch tins and hey lunch was sorted out. My bed hair and blood shot sleepy eyes were not all in vain, thank goodness Prince Charming never came knocking to borrow a cup of sugar in my state.
- 4 x bagels, cut into chunks.
- 6 x eggs.
- 2 x cups milk.
- 120g x Havarti cheese, grated.
- 4 x slices bacon, fried and chopped.
- 4 x spring onions, chopped.
- ¼ x tsp salt.
- ¼ x tsp black pepper.
- Grease and oven proof dish.
- Arrange the bagel chunks in the dish.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees till the bagels are crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the milk mixture over the bagels.
- Pop the bagel mixture back into the oven and bake at 180 degrees for 45 minutes or until the egg mixture has set.