These are my mum’s and gran’s specialty.
They always made it together. One would make the dough and the other would make the filling and me well I would sit and pretend to be busy rolling my own pastry with the left over dough that came my way.
Apparently they are called Hertzoggies, but we always call them bakkie tarts
- 2 x cups, sifted self raising flour.
- ½ x cup, sifted cake flour.
- 250g x rama margarine.
- 1 x egg.
- ½ x cup castor sugar.
- ¼ x tsp vanilla essence.
- 1 x small tin All Gold apricot jam.
- ½ x cup water.
- ½ x cup sugar.
- Boil the water and sugar together till sticky.
- Add the desiccated coconut and elatchi powder.
- Mix well and allow to cool.
- Cream margarine and sugar together till light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla essence and beat well.
- Add the sifted cake flour and self raising flour.
- Mix with a spoon, until the mixture starts to come together.
- Use your hands and knead till you get a smooth soft dough.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Use a circle flower shaped cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Place the flower shaped cut out into a greased patty pan.
- Fill half of the flower with apricot jam and the other half with the coconut mixture.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees or until the base is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- The jam might need to be topped up again once the tarts are cooled.