This is the second time I made this dish.
The first time, when I attempted it my father got food poisoning the night before and refused to eat anything acidic for breakfast.
So that meat even though I had spent the night before chopping 6 tomatoes to make this chutney, he was not interested in eating it and I had to ditch it.
A week later, I gave it another try and he seemed to be over the whole upset tummy and he chowed down, of course I placed the whole dish on the table and apparently he got full just by looking at it.
My father can not look at a lot of food at a sitting it makes him full, he wants little little food… so annoying because I cook pots and pots of food and the dishes up teaspoon by teaspoon and makes more dishes for me.
It seems to be something that is contagious, because lately every time I dish up for my mother, she says the same mantra like my dad… I think that they are ganging up on me.
The verdict, I loved this dish, even the chutney by itself on hot toast was delicious, my dad said his still alive so the dish was okay. So dramatic I tell you.
Although my mother doesn’t eat eggs she still has opinions on the meat dishes I make, she took one look at this dish and had acid reflux, the tomatoes put her off.
- 1 x tsp cumin powder.
- 3 x tsp coriander powder.
- 4 x tbsp. oil.
- 2 x onions, finely chopped.
- 2 x tsp ginger garlic paste.
- 6 x tomatoes, chopped.
- 1 x tbsp. tomatoe paste.
- Salt to taste.
- ½ x tsp masala.
- ¼ x tsp turmeric powder.
- Handful fresh spinach.
- 3 x eggs.
- Pinch black pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the cumin, coriander powder and mix.
- Add the onions and saute till soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and give it a good stir.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, toss to mix.
- Cover and cook till the tomatoes are soft and have released their water.
- Add tomatoe paste, salt, sugar, masala and turmeric mix well.
- Cover and cook till the sauce has thickened.
- Add spinach and mix.
- Allow the spinach to wilt a little.
- Make a well in the sauce for each of the eggs.
- Crack an egg into each well.
- Cover with a lid and cook till the eggs are done.