I have love doughnuts from when I was a teeny tiny child, when I would shopping with my gran, as soon as we stepped in to the super market, I would run to the bakery counter and pick out a doughnut and then my gran would put me in the trolley and do her shopping while I contently ate the doughnut.
When I came across this recipe I knew I had to give it a try in memory of our shopping trips with Granny Grey.
- 1 x roll store bought puff pastry.
- 1 x pack vanilla pudding mixture.
- 1 ¼ x cup milk.
- 1 x cup cream.
- 2 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 1 x cup icing sugar.
- ¼ x cup cocoa powder.
- A little melted margarine.
- Roll out the puff pastry onto a floured surface.
- Brush with melted margarine.
- Fold in half, lengthwise.
- Using a circle cookie cutter cut out circle rounds.
- Place on a greased baking tray.
- Using a tooth pick, prick 3 holes in the puff pastry.
- Pop into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Deep fry each round until they are nice and golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and place on hand towel to drain excess oil.
- In a bowl, pour the vanilla pudding mixture, 1 cup milk, cream and 1 tsp vanilla essence, mix well till nice and thick.
- Pour the mixture into a pipping bag that is fitted with a star tip.
- Press the tip into the side of the doughnut and fill the doughnut with the cream mixture.
- Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the icing sugar, cocoa powder, 1tsp vanilla essence and the ¼ cup milk, mix till everything is well combined.
- Dip the top of the doughnut into the mixture.
- Place on a plate and allow to chill in the fridge for 10 minutes till the icing is set.