This is my dad’s favourite recipe. He can eat this dessert every day of the week.
This is my Gran’s recipe that was passed down to my mum who in turn passed it down to me and I in turn am sharing it with the world
- 1 x white loaf of bread with crusts removed.
- 500ml (2 cups) x full cream milk.
- 8 x eggs.
- Cinnamon sticks.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- Fine cinnamon.
- Blobs of margarine.
- 2 x cups castor sugar (this sugar depends on how sweet you want your bread pudding).
- Mix the sugar, the eggs, vanilla essence and milk together, till all the sugar has been dissolved.
- Layer your slices of bread in a greased baking pan.
- Pour the mixture over the slices of bread, making sure that all the slices are nicely coated, if there are pieces on the top that are sticking out, gently push them down with a fork so that they are also nicely coated.
- Sprinkle fine cinnamon over the top.
- Place some cinnamon stick pieces on the top as well as blobs of margarine.
- Bake the bread pudding in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 – 25minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean and when you press gentle down on the top of the bread pudding its firm. If it is still wobbly then bake it for a couple more minutes.
PS: Do not be afraid that when you take it out the oven it sinks a little, that is perfectly normal.
Serve with hot custard and enjoy