I very seldom make butter beans curry from scratch.
Now a days, you can buy the curried butter beans in a tin ad all you have to do is add an onion and bring to the boil and it is done.
My dad doesn’t like it, he says it tastes funny, so when I make butter beans for him, I have to make it from scratch.
It is a bit time consuming, but so worth it in the end.
I love to add potatoes to my beans as it really makes the meal a complete filling meal.
- 2 x 420g tin Koo butter beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 1 x tomatoe, grated.
- 1 x tso Bombay masala.
- ½ x tsp turmeric power.
- A few curry leaves.
- 3 x medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- Heat some oil in a pot, add the onions and saute till transparent.
- Add the salt and stir.
- Add the grated tomatoe, curry leaves, spices and about ¼ x cup water.
- Stir and allow to simmer till you get a nice chutney.
- Add the potatoes and more water.
- Allow to cook till the potatoes are almost soft. Keep adding more water if you need.
- Add the drained butter beans and cook till everything is cooked and the water has cooked away.
- Garnish with coriander.