The other night I was watching Barefoot Contessa when I saw her making this recipe. I just knew I had to try it out.
It looked absolutely delicious and it tasted finger licking good.
Ingredients for the marinade:
- 1 x chicken braai pack, cleaned and chopped up into smaller pieces.
- 250ml x Amasi/buttermilk
- salt to taste.
- freshly ground pepper.
- Mix the amasi, salt and pepper together, till well combined.
- Stab the chicken pieces with a sharp knife and place into the marinade.
- Mix well, cover and place in the fridge to marinade over night.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and set aside.
- In a bowl mix cake flour, some more salt and some freshly ground pepper.
- Take the chicken out of the batter and dip it in the flour mixture, ensuring that the chicken is well coated.
- Deep fry in oil over a medium heat till it starts to turn a light brown, remove from heat and place on a baking tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes or until the chicken is nice and golden brown.
- Enjoy while still hot.
You don’t have to stab the meat, but I saw an episode where Anjun the Indian chef was doing it and she says that it allows the marinade to seep into the meat, so who am I to argue and boy oh boy does it work, the chicken taster softer and more juicer.