This is the first thing I learnt to bake, the original recipe got lost along the way as different spices were added. My mum was my spice taste tester in this beauty.
It was also the first time I attempted to cut a round cake and not thinking at the time I cut the cake into 6 pieces… massive slices but fast forward to now I get way way more than 6 slices now lol.
I love this frosting… mmmm.. cream cheese I spent most of the time licking and testing the icing even before it went on the actual cake and then the bowl… I refused to share and I just licked the bowl all by myself like when I was a kid.
This was also the first recipe that I had published in our local newspaper.
Ingredients…. This makes one round cake, so I repeated the recipe again to make a double layer cake.
- 1 ¼ x cup cake flour.
- 1 x cup plain yoghurt.
- 1 x cup grated carrots.
- 2 tbsp + ¼ x cup cooking oil.
- 1 x tsp baking powder.
- ½ x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- 1 x tsp cinnamon powder.
- ½ x tsp mixed spice.
- 1x tsp vanilla essence.
- Pinch of salt.
- 1 x cup castor sugar.
- ½ x chopped pecan nuts.
Ingredients for the icing:
- 100g x icing sugar.
- 250g x plain cream cheese.
- 100g x margarine.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- In a bowl, sift together the cake flour, the baking powder, the bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon powder and mixed spice.
- Mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the yoghurt, the oil, vanilla essence and sugar, till all the sugar has been dissolved.
- Add the flour mixture a little bit at a time into the yoghurt mixture.
- Mix well, ensuring that there are no lumps.
- Fold in the grated carrots and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 20cm round baking tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes into the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, blend everything together till well combined.
- Sandwich the two layers of cake together and using the remaining ice, ince the entire cake and decorate with nuts.
- Pop into the fridge to set for 30 minutes and serve.