The last time I made a roasted squash, my mother loved it so much, she kept hinting that I should make it again for her.
I came across a similar recipe in Deliciously Ella’s cookbook and I decided why not give it a try.
Of course this time I used store bought, prepacked already cubed butternut. I was just lazy this time around.
My mother loved it, even I enjoyed it considering that I am not a vegan salad eater or anything.
I was silly though, I forgot to reserve the chickpea liquid, I could have made some beautiful meringues, but instead I let it go down the kitchen sink. Silly billy I tell you.
Ingredients for the salad
- 120g x butternut squash, peeled and cubed.
- 1 x tsp paprika.
- 1 x tsp dried mixed herbs.
- Salt and pepper to season
- Drizzling of olive oil.
- 80 g x chicken peas, drained and washed.
- ½ x tsp chilli powder.
- Rocket to serve
Ingredients for the salad dressing:
- 1 x tbsp. olive oil.
- ½ x tbsp. apple cider vinegar.
- ½ x tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 x tsp honey
Method for the chickpeas:
- In a bowl, toss together the butternut, paprika, dried herbs and oil.
- Place on a greased baking tray.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or until the squash in tender.
- In a separate bowl, toss together the chick peas and masala.
- Place on a baking tray and pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees till the chick peas and nice and firm and a bit crunchy.
- To make the salad dressing, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl till well combined.