With my recent attempts to make a vegan swiss roll, and when I say ATTEMPTS, I have tried it so many times that it has become a second job.
Everything goes a okay, until I have to unroll and fill and when I unroll everything just cracks like humpty dumpty.
With all the tins of chickpeas I have been cracking open to use the aqua faba my freezer is slowing turning into a chickpea warehouse. Chickpeas are not on my families most want to eat food list. So I also land up with a ton of chickpeas and no recipes to make.
Then I came across this recipe, I can’t remember where I got it from. I think it could have been a Chetna Makan recipe, but I wrote this recipe such a long time ago down in my book, that I completely forgot the source.
When I came across this recipe in my book, I knew I just had to make it, it screamed at me. It had components in there that would hide the fact that there was a small round little chickpea in the dish itself.
When my parents asked what they were eating, I politely just left out the chickpea in the dish’s name. No harm, they did eventually stumble upon it when my dad dropped one and it silently rolled across the table and plopped on the floor. After than dramatic scene, all eyes were on me and questions were asked as to why I never mentioned chickpeas!
The verdict, although there was a chickpea here and there in the dish itself, my parents seemed to enjoy it and I myself loved every bite.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 1 x tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- 4 x cloves garlic, crushed.
- 1 x tsp urad dal.
- 2 x dried red chillies, finely chopped.
- 4 x tbsp. olive oil.
- 1 x tbsp. chilli powder.
- ½ x tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 x tsp cumin seeds.
- 3 x potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 x cabbage, shredded.
- 1 x sprig curry leaves.
- 1 x cup frozen green peas.
- Finely chopped fresh coriander.
- Heat the oil in a pot.
- Add the urad dal, chopped dried chillies, onions, cumin seed and salt.
- Give it a good mix and cook till the onions are soft.
- Add in the crushed garlic, curry leaves, chilli powder and turmeric.
- Give it a good stir and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes and enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Cover the pot and cook till the potatoes are soft.
- Add in the chickpeas, frozen green peas and shredded cabbage.
- Mix so that all the ingredients are evening distributed throughout the dish.
- Cover and cook till all the water has evaporated and the cabbage was wilted.
- Garnish with the finely chopped coriander before serving.