I love crunchies. Growing up mum used to make crunchies and coat half with melted chocolate and the other half she would leave plain. Then she discovered another kind of crunchie that was coated entirely in another kind of chocolate and those crunchies would never last the day… trust me.
Of course, with time, my mum’s recipe grew feet and went missing but she did mention that her recipe contained an egg, so to make that would be out of the question.
I saw this recipe on the Vegan loving website and seeing as I had all the ingredients in my pantry, I knew I just had to try it out.
- 1 ½ x cups rolled oats.
- 1 x cup cake flour.
- 1 x cup desiccated coconut.
- 1 x tsp Bicarbonate of soda.
- 1/2 x tsp Salt
- 1 x tsp Cinnamon powder.
- 1 x cup caramel brown sugar.
- 112g x rama margarine.
- 3 x Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 x tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 – 4 x tbsp. soy milk.
- 150g x chocolate chip chunks
- In a bowl mix the rolled oats, cake flour, coconut, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon powder.
- In another bowl, cream the sugar, margarine, golden syrup and vanilla essence.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix till combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Add the milk a little at a time, so that you get a crumbly mixture that will come together when you make it into a ball.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or until the tops are nice and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and immediately push in some extra chocolate chip chunks into the top of the biscuits and play on a cooling rack to cool completely.