I love cookies, in all shapes and sizes and particularly ones that contain chocolate chip pieces in. My mother loves ones that have nuts in and my dad well at least he has something to nibble on while he has his evening cup of tea, his happy.
While making these biscuits, my faithful ice cream scoop died, it just stop letting the scoopful of mixture come out of the scoop, I was sad. 3 years of faithful service and it just stopped working. It was the perfect size for making cookies, curry balls, vaddee and googalas, now I have to start the painful search of looking for another all over again. This time around I will buy more than one. I do need a backup just in case.
When I read the list of ingredients and the method, I was a bit sceptical, seeming as there was soo much dry ingredients and so little wet. But have no fear, it came out perfect. I loved the rustic look about these beauties, it really did scream cow boy to me, if you look at them.
The verdict of these cookies from the panel are as follows: Mother….ohh yummy and nice and crunchy. Father…… well I am still waiting for his verdict. He can’t pinpoint his exact final decision as yet… watch this space, hopefully it won’t be slow like his driving. 40km/h everywhere, even on the highway.
The super duper part about these cookies are that they are vegan friendly, so we as a household can eat them any day of the week and also it gave me a reason to use my dad’s instant Jungle oats porridge that he buys in bulk every weekend as if Makro is going to run out of his fasting day porridge… shhh I never told him, I used some of his stash, I just put the empty box back in the pantry and will wait for Tuesday to see if he notices, I mean he does that to me and he knows I hate weekday rush hour shopping.
- 2 x cups instant oats.
- 2 x cups cake flour.
- 1 x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- ½ x tsp baking powder.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- 2/3 x cup peanut oil.
- 2/3 x cup castor sugar.
- ¾ x cup light brown sugar.
- ½ x cup soy milk.
- 1 x tbsp. ground flax seed.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 1 x cup desiccated coconut.
- 1 x cup chocolate chips.
- 1 x cup pecans, chopped.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, cake flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips, desiccated coconut and pecans.
- In another whisk together the peanut oil, both sugars, milk, flax seed and vanilla essence together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix tell the mixture comes together and is well combined.
- Break off pieces and shape into balls.
- Place onto a greased baking tray and using a fork, press down gently on the biscuits to flatten slightly.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are lightly golden brown.