When I first discovered The Pioneer Women, I was over the moon, her recipes were easy to follow with lots of pictures at each step to ensure that I was going in the right direction towards to end meal.
Before Ree, I would never have dreamed of making quiche, the store bought ready made ones that just needed to be reheated in the oven would just have to do.
Not only did I discover Ree, I discovered just how easy it is to make quiche.
A while back I made her cowgirl quiche with the delicious filling ingredients. This past week, with the weather having a mind of its own and working giving me grey hair, all I really wanted to do when I got home was sit and do nothing and watch junk tv till my body went numb.
My parents were having none of it, every couple of minutes they would wonder in the kitchen and loudly close doors and open the fridge numerous times asking if there was anything to eat or nibble on, so I decided that making a quiche would benefit us both.
It didn’t require a lot of energy, just mixing and pouring and baking and my parents would have a hearty meal while I laid down on the couch making my body go numb.
All in all, it was a delicious quiche, and left overs, there were none, my dad hid the remainder away to take to work the next day as lunch.
Ingredients for the pie crust:
- 2 ½ x cups cake flour, sifted.
- 1 x tsp salt.
- 1 x tbsp. castor sugar.
- 2 x sticks butter. (200g)
- ¼ x cup water.
- In a bowl, mix cake flour, salt and sugar together.
- Using your fingers, rub the butter into the mixture, till it resembles crumbs.
- Add the water and knead till the dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out to the shape of your pie dish.
- Carefully lay the pastry in your pie dish and set aside while you make the filling.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 8 x slices of fried bacon, roughly chopped.
- 2 x onions, thinly sliced and fried till golden brown in a little butter.
- 8 x eggs.
- 1 ½ x cups cream.
- 2 x cups grated cheese.
- Salt and pepper to season.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cream, seasoning and eggs.
- Mix the cheese, bacon and onions and give it a good stir.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust.
- Cover the top with foil.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 30 minute.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and set.