I love a delicious sambal with a strong curry.
I am used to the normal side dishes that normally accompany a curry such as cucumber raito, patcha chutney and store bought beetroot.
When I came across this recipe for an cucumber sambal, I was a bit hesitant, well firstly I have never eaten cucumber by itself with a curry and I was under the impression that it would go dry very quickly, but thank goodness it did not.
The recipe itself is very simple and the results are mind blowing, the sambal is delicious, tasty and has a cooling effect after a strong curry.
This recipe finally gave me a reason to put my cheese cloth to good use, of course it did turn my cloth a light shade of green which required a lot of soaking and washing to get it back to bright white, but it was worth it in the end.
This recipe makes a cup full of salad and can easily serve 4
- 1 x large English cucumber, grated.
- 1 x tsp salt.
- 1 x tsp garlic powder.
- 1 x green chilli, chopped.
- 2 x tbsp. white wine vinegar.
- 1 x tsp white sugar.
- Place the cucumber in a bowl and sprinkle the salt over.
- Give it a good mix and allow to stand for 15 minutes, so that all the water can draw out of the cucumber.
- Place the cucumber in the cheese cloth and drain out all the excess water.
- Place in the cucumber in a dry dish and add in all the remaining ingredients.
Give it a good toss and it is ready to be served.