I love watching The Pioneer women and most of her dishes are easy to make and then there are some that ask for ingredients that I have never heard of in my neck of town.
For example, breakfast sausage. I have never heard of it. On TV it looks like normal mince, but when I googled it, it is similar to mince, but it has spices and herbs that normally go into a sausage. But it is also not a sausage, because it doesn’t come encased in sausage casing. Talk about a very complicated and difficult to find ingredient.
I took it upon myself to substitute sausages with the casings removed as my version of breakfast sausage.
I thought that this would a quick dish to make, it is very simple, and its very quick to make if you do not take into consideration the fact that you have to pop it into the fridge to chill for 4 hours before popping it into the oven to bake.
All in all, it was a very delicious dish and very hearty, there was a considerable amount left over for the following morning breakfast. Which as you should know my now, my father was grumbling from the time he saw me reheating it, till the time he ate the last piece that he wanted fresh breakfast and not left over lunch as breakfast. Men I tell you.
- 2 x tbsp. olive oil.
- 1 ½ x cup bread cubed and toasted in the oven till crispy.
- 500g x sausages, casing removed.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 1 x handful spinach, roughly chopped.
- 1/3 x cup sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped.
- Salt and pepper to season.
- 10 x eggs.
- ½ x cup milk.
- ¼ x cup feta, crumbed.
- A few pieces of bacon, fried and roughly chopped.
- Red spring onions, chopped to garnish.
- Heat oil in a pan, add sausage and onion and cook till the sausage meat has browned.
- Add spinach and cook for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the toasted bread cubes and bacon bits and toss to mix.
- Season well, toss and remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk till well combined
- Evenly spread the sausage mixture into a well-greased oven proof dish.
- Pour over the egg mixture.
- Crumble the feta over the top.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 1 hour or till the mixture has set and is cooked through.
- Garnish with the spring onions before serving.