I was reading Nigella Lawson’s Simply Nigella cookbook, when I came across about a ton of recipes that I really really wanted to try out.
Unfortunately all of them contained eggs or an egg white or even an egg yolk, so all of them were out of the question.
Then I thought, why not a recipe of hers and try and convert it to become eggless and vegan friendly so that my mum can also enjoy the sweet treat???? And that is exactly what I did.
I took her banana bread and instead of using the 2 eggs that the recipe required, I substituted it with 2 vegan flax eggs and you know what….it came out super perfect and delicious and you would never have said that they were eggless the bread tasted like there was actually eggs in it.
Who would have thought that converting a world famous cookbook author’s recipe to vegan would be so simple and the results would be sooo delicious.
The recipe also asked for cocoa nibs, which I have never used or tasted before and it did require me to pop down to the local Dischem store to grab a packet. I am still not 100% converted on the whole cocoa nibs, they are a tad bit bitter, but give me some more time and I might just come around.
Another great thing about this recipe is that everything can be made in your mixer, no mixing dry and wet separately.
- 3 x bananas, mashed.
- 2 x Tbsp ground flax seeds.
- 6 x Tbsp boiling hot water.
- 200ml x buttermilk.
- 125ml x oil.
- 325g x cake flour.
- 200g x light brown sugar.
- 1 ¼ x tsp baking powder.
- 1 x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- 2 x tsp cardamom powder.
- 50g x cocoa nibs.
- Mix the flax seed and boiling water together, allow to stand for 15 minutes to get thick and gooey.
- Pour the mixture into a blender with the bananas and sugar and beat till well combined and thick.
- Add in the buttermilk and oil and beat till the oil has combined.
- Sift the dry ingredients directly into the bowl of the mixer.
- Beat till everything is well incorporated.
- Gently fold in the cocoa nibs.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 45 – 60 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.