I have made bollas once in my life, this time last year, I was busy making them for a family members service.
My dad wasn’t home before they had to be sent off and my mum couldn’t taste it since they had eggs and well… seeing as I like anything I make, I was a real hopeless assistance to myself. My uncle did pop around and I made him taste test for me, but he got so sick of my playing 100 questions with him, he stopped chewing and just swallowed them whole…. No help there.
I never really thought of turning my grans bolla recipe into an eggless. I really really don’t know why. It seems silly now that I never thought of it before.
The other night while I was planning the weeks food menu, I came across Cariema Isaacs recipe for bolls in her cookbook “My Cape Malay Kitchen,” and it was like a sign that I should try it out and substitute the normal egg for a vegan egg. No harm in trying right???
This was supposed to be for breakfast, for this first time in forever my father was actually off on a weekend and he kept repeating himself the whole of Friday night, don’t get up early, sleep late, no rush, even when I got up at 2am to get something to drink, he screamed from the room scaring my socks off me to go back to bed it was too early and I must sleep late…following his advice that is EXCATLY what I did. I woke up at 08:30 to him, dropping spoons in the sink, when I went to see what he was doing, he was making toast, why seeing as breakfast would be made now now… no he has a meeting at 08:45. Boy was I mad, he told me to sleep late and when I did, that was a problem… next time I am just going to get up my normal time. Of course seeing as I was not thrown for a curve ball with his skipping of breakfast, the rest of my day went by in the blink of an eye… so much for DON’T STRESS!!!
My mother finally got to taste the bollas and her verdict, she loved it, tasted just like Granny Grey’s and with regards to the egg, if you didn’t know that there was a vegan egg in there, you couldn’t tell the difference. My dad’s verdict… remind me again Bobby what am I eating… meaning his a lost cause. My brother well he ate all mine off the plate while I was making my coffee, I take it that he liked it… coconut and all.
- 4 x cups self raising flour, sifted.
- 1 x tsp baking powder.
- 5 x tsp butter, melted.
- 2 x vegan eggs ( 2 x heaped tbsp. egg replacer powder mixed with 4 x tbsp. boiling water).
- 4 x tsp sugar.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 1 x cup milk.
- 1 x cup water.
- Desiccated coconut.
- In a bowl, mix together the self raising flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Whisk together the sugar, butter and vegan eggs till light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the vanilla essence.
- Add the flour in 3 separate stages and whisk till well combined.
- Whisk in the water and milk.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Using an ice cream scoop, drop spoonfuls of the mixture into hot oil.
- Turning the bollas over every couple of minutes, deep fry till golden brown.
- Remove and drain on kitchen towel.
- In a sauce pan, boil together 1 x cup white sugar and 1 x cup water till a drop ball consistency.
- Remove from the heat and drop a few bollas in at a time, toss to coat.
- Remove from the syrup and toss in desiccated coconut.