This is the first thing I ever learnt to bake.
I can still remember it was 10 o’clock on a Saturday night and I was potting away in the kitchen making these cupcakes.
It took about 10 tries before I finally got the spice mixture correct.
- 1 ¼ x cup cake flour.
- 1 x cup plain flour.
- 1 x cup grated carrots.
- 2 tbsp + ¼ x cup cooking oil.
- 1 x tsp baking powder.
- ½ x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- 1 x tsp cinnamon powder.
- ½ x tsp mixed spice.
- ½ x tsp vanilla essence.
- A pinch of salt.
- 1 x cup castor sugar.
- ½ x cup chopped pecan nuts.
- Place 2 bowls side by side.
- In bowl number 1, sift the cake flour, the baking powder, the bicarbonate of soda, the cinnamon powder and the mixed spice and set aside.
- In bowl number2, mix the yoghurt, the oil, the vanilla essence and the sugar, till all the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the flour mixture, a little bit at a time to the yoghurt mixture.
- Mix till everything is well combined.
- Add the carrots and the chopped up pecan nuts and mix well.
- Fill each muffin cup ¾ .
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto the cooling rack to cool further.
- Once completely cool with cream cheese icing.
Cream cheese icing:
- 100g x icing sugar.
- 250g x plaing cream cheese.
- 100g x rama margarine.
- 1tsp x vanilla essence.
- Mix everything together till well combined and there are no lumps.
- Place mixture into a piping bag and ice the cupcakes.
- Place a pecan nut on the top and sprinkle pecan nut shavings over the top.