You know they say practice makes perfect… well Christmas 2017 there was no time to practice. I wasn’t actually going to make a Christmas cake, because it happened to fall on a fasting day. But I was scratching in my mother’s recipe book when I came across an eggless fruit cake recipe… so you know me, I just had to try it out.
- 2 x cups castor sugar.
- 1 x cup Rama margarine.
- 2 x tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 x tsp clove powder.
- pinch of salt.
- 3 1/2 x cup tap water.
- 500g x Safari sun dried cake mix.
- 1 x tub of tutti frutti – optional.
- 1 x cup broken up walnuts.
- 4 x cups cake flour.
- 2 x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- Boil the first 7 ingredients together for 15 minutes on a high heat.
- Allow this mixture to cool until room temperature.
- Add the sun dried cake mix, the nuts and the tutti frutti.
- Add the cake flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix well until everything is mixed together.
- Do not use a beater but rather fold the flour into the mixture.
- Pour mixture into a well greased 20cm cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven and bake for 90 minutes on until the top is nice and golden brown and the cake tester comes out clean.
- Serve with warm custard and sit back and relax.