I love scones, with the last couple of days of the fasting rapidly approaching my sweet tooth is starting to kick in.
I started out with a plan to find a sugarfree cake to try, because my friend Donna told me she likes my goodies but she has given up sugar and I should post some sugar free recipes.
Everywhere I look, I can not seem to find a sugar free cake.
After a ton of research I found out the coconut sugar is a healthy sugar substitute. It is actually made from the oil of the sugar tree, no cane sugar or anything and guess what I even had a packet in my cupboard, I was always under the impression that coconut sugars purpose was similar to that of cinnamon sugar.
With coconut sugar on my mind all day, I decided to try my hand at scones, but to play around with it. Substitute the coconut sugar for the castor sugar and see how it comes it.
And hey presto is came out delicious and it wasn’t even sweet, I made the cream sweet to make up for the fact that I love sweet scones.
- 3 x cups self raising flour.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- 1 x tsp baking powder.
- 112g x rama margarine.
- 4 x tbsp. coconut sugar.
- ¾ x cup soy milk.
- 1 x tsp coconut essence.
- 2 x tsp lemon juice.
- Sift the self raising flour, baking powder and salt together into a bowl.
- Add the margarine and using your fingers, rub into the flour mixture to create a crumble mixture.
- Add the coconut essence, milk and lemon juice, using a fork, mix and bring the mixture together.
- Turn out onto a flour surface and knead roughly to bring the mixture together.
- Using your hands flatten the dough.
- Using a circle cookie cutter, cut out rounds.
- Sprinkle some desiccated coconut over the top… if you like… and pop into a preheated oven.
- Bake at 18o degrees for 15 – 20 minutes or until the coconut on top is nice and toasty.
- Allow to cool completely before filling with coconut cream and jam.
To make the coconut cream, whip a cup of whipping cream, 1 x tsp coconut essence and some castor sugar till some peaks are formed.
2 thoughts on “Eggless coconut scones with coconut cream”
I was looking for an eggless scones recipe and I found yours. Will try it soon.
You must, they are so delicious. You are free to look around at the my blog, i have a lot of eggless recipes