Who doesn’t love a coffee cake on a lazy Sunday afternoon??? I do. Well I love anything with coffee… Hi my name is Bobby and I am a coffee addict.
I was searching all over the interent for an eggless coffee cake, but alas I was not having any luck, until I came across Loving It Vegans website and guess what they had an eggless coffee cake recipe.
My stars are aligning and I knew I had to try it out.
When I read through the list of ingredients, I was a be afraid because they asked for Kahlua and I mean I have never ever heard of it let alone seen it in the supermarket.
Then I went to google and asked where can I get this and it kicked out a results that told me, it was a coffee essence liqueur and my parents do not like cakes with alcohol in, so I just substituted coffee essence instead of Kahlua and hey presto it was a coffee cake to die for, there was one slice left over that I was eyeing and hid away for me for Monday, but my mother found my stash and gave my last slice away.
Talk about a blue Monday lol.
Ingredients for the cake batter:
- 2 x cups sifted cake flour.
- 1 x cup caramel brown sugar.
- 1 x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- ½ x tsp cinnamon powder.
- 3 x tbsp. coffee granules.
- 2 x tbsp. boiling hot water.
- 1 x cup soy milk.
- 2 x tsp vanilla essence.
- ½ x cup vegetable oil.
- 1 x tbsp. white wine vinegar.
- 1 x flax egg.
Method for the cake batter:
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing, 1 x tbsp. crushed linseed with 3 x tbsp. hot water, stir and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the cake flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon powder, give it a good mix.
- In another bowl, mix the coffee granules, water and soy milk, give it a good stir.
- Add the coffee mixture to the flour mixture as well as the vanilla essence, oil, vinegar and flax egg.
- Whisk till well combined.
- Pour into 2 greased 20cm cake pans and pop into a pre-heated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan, before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Ingredients for the icing:
- 4 x cups, sifted icing sugar.
- 56g x rama margarine.
- ¼ x cup coffee essence.
- 1 x tbsp. coffee granules.
- 3 x tbsp. soy milk.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
Method for the icing:
- Cream margarine.
- Add the icing sugar a little at a time and whisk well till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the coffee essence, coffee granules, milk and vanilla essence.
- Whisk until well combined and nice and smooth.
To assemble the cake, sandwich you two layers of with the icing, generously frost the top of the cake and then sprinkle with almonds, but the nuts is optional.