It is not every day that one comes across an eggless koeksisters recipe.
Most recipes have an egg or two in them. This is difficult for those who fast and sustaining from meat.
This recipe will help curb those sweet cravings on a Sunday morning you have when you smell the neighbours having koeksisters for breakfast.
- 4 x cups sifted cake flour.
- 1 ½ x tsp ginger powder.
- 1 ½ x tsp mixed spice.
- 1 ½ x tsp cinnamon powder.
- 1 x tsp cloves powder.
- ¼ x tsp nutmeg powder.
- 2 x tbsp. sugar.
- 1 x packet anchor instant yeast.
- Pinch of salt.
- 3 ½ x tbsp. cooking oil.
- 2 x cups lukewarm water.
- A small blob of rama margarine.
- In a bowl add the sifted flour, all the spices and dry ingredients.
- Add the margarine and mix till the butter has mixed with the other ingredients.
- Add the oil and lukewarm water and mix till a soft dough is formed.
- Knead for roughly 10 minutes till the soft dough is smooth and nice and elastic.
- Place the dough in a bowl and cover with cling wrap and leave to rise for an hour in a warm place.
- After an hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knock it down.
- Break off pieces and roll dough into medium sized oval balls.
- Leave to rise for another 5 minutes.
- In the mean time heat the oil till it is nice and hot.
- Place the dough balls in the hot oil and fry till golden brown.
- Remove and let it cool on a paper towel.
- To make the syrup, mix 2 xcups of water and 2 x cups of sugar, bring to the boil and let is boil till it becomes nice and sticky. If too sticky just add more water.