I love milktart… but I always tend to have milktart cravings during the fasting periods… and it used to make me suffer in silence… but not until I found an eggless milktart in a Sai Baba recipe book.
Since then I have never looked back.
Ingredients for the base:
- 1 x cup cake flour.
- 1 ½ x tsp baking powder.
- 5g x rama margarine.
- 2 x tbsp castor sugar.
- 4 x tbsp milk.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 2 ½ x cup milk.
- 2 x tbsp. ordinary white sugar.
- 1 x tsp of margarine.
- Mix this in a bowl and keep aside (4 x tbsp. maizena mixed with ½ x cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla essence).
Method for the base:
- Cream the margarine and the castor sugar together.
- Add the sifted cake flour and baking powder.
- Add the milk little by little, till the dough comes together. Knead till nice and smooth.
- Roll out onto a floured surface and line a greased pie dish with the pastry and using a fork prick the base.
Method for the filling:
- Boil the milk, castor sugar and margarine together till it starts to bubble.
- Add the mixture in the bowl to the boiling milk and allow to cook till it starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and pour over the pastry base.
- Sprinkle cinnamon powder over the top and pop into a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 15 minutes or until the filling is firm to touch.