At the beginning of the year, my mother sat us all down and informed us that she would be giving up meat and become a vegetarian… which seemed like an easy thing to cater for, seeing as my mother already fasted 5 out of 7 days a week.
3 months later and it is tougher than I thought it would be.
Every morning for breakfast my mum has porridge seeing as she can’t eat the normally breakfast my dad has of bacon and eggs, nope porridge is for her.
Then I was reading Madhur Jaffrey’s Vegetarian cookbook and she had a recipe there on how to make vegetarian scrambled eggs and it was made without and egg… I knew I just had to try it out.
Let me tell you this, if I didn’t know better, I would have thought that it was a real egg, it even hand the yellow ting of that of a scrambled egg.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- Generous pinch of turmeric powder.
- 1 x fresh green chilli, finely chopped.
- 1 x tsp freshly grated ginger
- 4 x cherry tomatoes, chopped.
- 400g x paneer, crumbled.
- ¼ x cup frozen peas.
- Salt and pepper to season.
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- Add the onions, chilli, ginger and tomatoes and saute till the onions are transparent and the tomatoes are cooked.
- Add the crumbled paneer and seasoning and give it a good stir.
- Sprinkle the turmeric powder over the top and mix well till everything has a nice yellow tinge to it.
- Finally add the frozen peas and allow to heat through. Once the peas are cooked, remove from the heat and serve immediately