I love brownies, but I have never bothered to learn to make a brownie. I always thought it was the complicated process. Then I was watching The Great South African Bake off and on one episode they were making brownies.
Then I was inspired. I bought myself a brownie pan and then I went in hunt for the perfect brownie recipe and Anna Olson, provided me with that recipe in the form of FUDGE BROWNIES.
Ingredients for the salt roasted pecans:
- 1 x tbps rama margarine.
- 1 x cup pecan halves.
- ½ x tsp salt.
Ingredients for the fudge brownies:
- 120g x milk chocolate, chopped.
- 1 ¼ x cup unsalted butter, cubed.
- 1 x cup castor sugar.
- ¾ x cup light brown sugar.
- 3 x eggs.
- 2 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 1 x cup cake flour.
- ¼ x cup coco powder.
- To make the salt roasted pecans, melt the margarine in a pan over a medium heat.
- Add the pecans and the salt.
- Toast the pecans, stirring them frequently for about 10 minutes until they are lightly brown and you can smell a nutty aroma, remove from the heat and set aside.
- For the brownies, place the chopped chocolate and the cubed butter in a sauce pan and stir until melted over a medium heat.
- Remove from the heat, add both sugars and whisk till well combined.
- Add one egg at a time and whisk between each egg till well combined.
- Whisk in the vanilla essence.
- Add the cake flour and coco powder and stir till well combined.
- Keep 12 pecans aside, chop the rest and add it to the batter.
- Fold in the nuts till well incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 brownie squares.
- Place the remaining pecans ontop of each brownie.
- Pop into a pre-heated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes, or until the top of the brownies loose their shine.
- Allow the brownies to cool for an hour in the pan, before turning them out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Dust the cooled brownies with icing sugar.