This is my Gran’s family recipe.
I tried it once the day before a big Christmas lunch. I made 2 and one I covered with fondant and the other with just icing sugar and with some decorative pieces.
I am not a huge fruit cake fan, but this cake I can eat without complaining.
- 350g x rama margarine.
- 6 x eggs.
- 1 ½ x cups castor sugar.
- 4 x cups self raising flour.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 500g x fruit cake mix.
- 1 x box red cherries.
- 1 x packet pecan nuts.
- 1 x tsp baking powder.
- 1 x cup milk.
- Cream margarine and sugar together till light and fluffy.
- Add 1 of egg at a time and mix between each egg.
- Add the sifted cake flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Add ½ of the milk and mix.
- First mix the cake mixture with a little flour and then add the cake mix to the batter.
- Chop cherries in half and roll in flour before adding it to the batter as well.
- Add the chopped pecan nuts.
- Fold everything into the batter, do not mix or beat as this will cause the cherries, nuts and cake mixture to sink to the bottom of the cake.
- Add the rest of the milk and fold in the milk.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 20cm round cake pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 1 to 1 ½ hours or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- If the cake tops become too brown while baking. Cover with foil and continue baking.