I love Halwa like there is no tomorrow. The only problem I have with Halwa is that I could never make it, until someone posted a recipe on Facebook and I tried it out and hey presto I can make Halwa to my hearts content and eat it all by myself.
And here the aunties kept telling me that only the experienced cooks know how to make it… please 🙂
- 1 x box vermicelli
- 250g x rama margarine.
- 3 x cups normal white sugar.
- 1 x cup almonds halved and coloured.
- 5 x liters boiling water.
- 1 x tsp elachi powder
- 1 x tsp rose essence
- 2 x tsp yellow food colouring.
- 2 x tsp red food colouring
- Fry the vermicelli and margarine in a pot until golden brown.
- Add the boiling water, sugar and elachi powder, rose essence and food colouring.
- Continue stirring to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the bot.
- Allow to cook till the mixture starts to pull away from the sides.
- Empty the mixture in a greased dish.
- Sprinkle the coloured almonds over the top and if you want to you can sprinkle gold dust over the top as well.
- Pop into the fridge to set over night.
- When you are ready to serve cut the Halwa into diamond shapes and serve