In our house there is always a pack of hot cross buns laying around.
Like bread, the hot cross bun is a staple food item. Personally I am not a huge fan of this bun the raisins and the sultans and the orange peel… let me just bite into one and I am so turned off. But in a pudding well then I do not mind at all. Then I love hot cross buns.
I came across this recipe by chance. There was a ton of hot cross buns left over after Easter and I thought what would happen if we put it in a pudding and served it with warm custard???
Hence the birth of the hot cross bun pudding
- 2 x 6 pack fruity hot cross buns, broken into pieces
- 500ml (2 cups) x full cream milk.
- 8 x eggs.
- Cinnamon sticks.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- Fine cinnamon.
- Blobs of margarine.
- 2 x cups castor sugar (this sugar depends on how sweet you want your pudding).
- Mix the sugar, the eggs, vanilla essence and milk together, till all the sugar has been dissolved.
- Layer your pieces of hotcross buns in a greased baking pan.
- Pour the mixture over the pieces, making sure that all the pieces are nicely coated, if there are pieces on the top that are sticking out, gently push them down with a fork so that they are also nicely coated.
- Sprinkle fine cinnamon over the top.
- Place some cinnamon stick pieces on the top as well as blobs of margarine.
- Bake the hotcross bun pudding in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 – 25minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean and when you press gentle down on the top of the hotcross bun pudding its firm. If it is still wobbly then bake it for a couple more minutes.