There used to be a craze about making these beauties a while back and I just had to had to make it.
To perfect these beauties I bought 3 kg of red apples and made dozen upon dozens of these trying hard not to break the puff pastry.
When I finally managed to master these roses my family was sick of eating apples.
- Red apples.
- Juice of half a lemon.
- Cinnamon powder.
- 2x tbsp. apricot jam.
- Store bought puff pastry.
- Icing sugar
- Cut the apple down the middle in half ( right threw the core).
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out the core and the seeds.
- Neatly trim the top and bottom of the apple.
- Place the apple halves face down and thinly cut the apple into slices.
- Place the apple slices in a bowl and fill with water, so that all the slices are covered.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon in the bowl and qive a quick stir ( I didn’t have fresh lemons so I just used 2 tbsp of lemon juice from the bottle).
- Microwave the apples in water for 3 minutes on medium heat…this helps to soften the apples.
- Place your ready made puff pastry on a floured surface and cut it into equal lengths.
- Take your jam and mix in 2 tbsp water till the mixture becomes smooth.
- Evenly spread the jam all over your pastry strip.
- Take one apple slice at a time and place it on the top half of your pastry.
- Place the next piece half way on the other slice and carry on till you get to the other end.
- Sprinkle some cinnamon over your apple pieces.
- Take the bottom piece of the pastry and fold it over, it should cover the bottom part of the apple slices.
- Take one side of your pastry and slowly and carefully roll it up like you would a swiss roll.
- Place it in a greased muffin pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the pastry starts to brown…it all depends on your oven.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once cool, sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy.