In our household, Sunday is the day where rice is found on the lunch table.
During the weeks, it bread or roti, but most of the time its bread. What can I say, bread has been in my DNA from even before I was born. One would think I would have a tolerance to yeast by now… still early days maybe???
When I came across a recipe book just for rice, I could not wait to rush home and try it out. My folks were a little confused when I put a pot of rice on the table, but they seemed to enjoy it.
Considering the rice was baked and not boiled, so it had a nice crispy layer of rice and there was no straining the rice and then trying to clean the strainer of all the little bit of stuck rice… this was an upside in my books.
I was a bit scared when I tried out this recipe, I have never baked rice before, always been boiling it and straining it, but never have I ever in my life, taken raw rice, covered it in broth and popped it into the oven to bake till done… this was definitely a first in my books.
The results delicious and tasty and so yummy, we were fighting as to who would get the last helping.
- 3 x cups raw rice.
- 6 x cups vegetable stock.
- 2 x Tbsp butter.
- ¼ x cup grated swiss cheese.
- 1/8 x tsp paprika.
- 1/8 x tsp black pepper.
- Melt the butter over a low heat in a pot.
- Add the rice and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stock and stir to mix.
- Allow the stock to come to a boil.
- Add in the spices and the cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 60 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- Stir the pop every 15 minutes