I have been watching My Kitchen rules Australia recently.
On the show, most of the mains served are always accompanied by a side, be it a salad or a sauce as Manu would say, it isn’t a main unless there is a sauce or in my case a salad.
I love slaw, I love the crunch and the freshness of it and I love it even more if it is dressed with a light dressing and not overpowered by heaps and heaps of mayonnaise.
I came across this recipe in Meera Sodha’s recipe book and although the original recipe wanted an ingredient calls daikon, which I must say is not available in my home town, I still went ahead and make the slaw.
I just skipped out the daikon and the salad tasted delicious all the same and the hint of mint in every mouthful just brought everything together.
Of course my parents were not big fans of the salad as they kept complaining that the chillies were too strong for their liking, but I loved every bite of it.
- ½ x red cabbage, shredded.
- 2 x carrots, grated.
- 1 x red onion, thinly sliced.
- Handful fresh mint, roughly chopped.
- Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped.
- 3 x tbsp. lime juice.
- 1 x chilli, thinly sliced.
- 1 ½ x tsp sugar.
- 1 x tsp salt.
- In a jug, whisk together the lime juice, chilli, sugar and salt till all the sugar has dissolved, this will create the sauce.
- In a bowl, toss together the remaining ingredients.
- Pour over the sauce and toss so that the sauce coats everything.