Sunday tea time is a fun meal in our house.
I like to let my creativity run wild with cakes, pies, tarts and I go off the wall when it comes to decorating these beauties.
Before my mum became a vegetarian, I would make cakes with eggs and icing with meringues but then when she dropped the bombshell, it was like I hit a blank. I mean how many ways could I decorate an eggless vanilla sponge cake for 52 weeks in the year without any one noticing it was exactly the same cake they ate last week.
The I found out that vegan baking was an in thing and it met all my needs… aka eggless.
And you know what, you don’t even know that there are no eggs in the cake, it tastes just like a normal cake should. Thanks to vegan baking I actually have a use for the soy milk that somehow is always on the shopping list… YUMMY.
Ingredients for the batter:
- 1 ¾ x cup cake flour.
- 1 x cup castor sugar.
- 1 x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- 1 x tsp baking powder.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- 1/3 x cup lime juice.
- 2/3 x cup unsweetened soy milk.
- 1/3 x cup cooking oil.
- 1 x tbsp. white wine vinegar.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 1 x tsp green food colouring.
Ingredients for the butter cream icing:
- 2 – 3 ¾ x cup icing sugar.
- 112g x butter.
- 3 x tbsp. lime juice.
- ½ x tsp green food colouring.
- Method for the cake:
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the castor sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and mix well together.
- Add the lime juice, soy milk, cooking oil, white wine vinegar, vanilla essence and food colouring.
- Whisk until well combined and there are no lumps.
- Pour into a round 20cm greased cake tin.
- Pop into a pre-heated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the cake pan.
- Then turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Method for the icing:
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the icing sugar add the green food colour and lime juice and whisk till well combined. If you add more icing sugar you will have to add more lemon juice to keep it at a spreading consistency.
- To assemble the cake, cut the cake in half, place one layer down on your cake board, spread some icing over the top. Place your second layer ontop of the icing. Lastly cover the entire in the left over icing.
- Pop into the fridge to set for 30 minutes.