This is the first bread I learnt to bake. I love it, it is so simple and easy and the smell that fills the house while you are baking it, is just so delicious.
500 g Cake flour (4 x 250 ml / 4 cups)
5 ml Salt (1 tsp)
60 ml Sugar (4 tbsp)
60 g Margarine (4 tbsp)
10 g Anchor Instant Yeast (1 packet)
250 ml Lukewarm water (1 cup)
1 Large egg, beaten
Beaten egg, to brush
Sesame or Poppy seeds, to sprinkle
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, then rub the margarine into the flour with the fingertips. Add the Anchor Instant Yeast and mix.
- Mix the lukewarm water and egg together and add to the dry ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Knead the dough well until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface, cover with greased plastic and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knock the dough down, divide in half and roll each piece into a long strand. Place the strands in the form of an “X” onto the work surface.
- Knit the strands together
- Place the plait onto a greased baking tray, cover with greased plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg, sprinkle with seeds and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 30 – 35 minutes, or until golden brown.