I can count the number of times that I have eaten Macaroni and cheese.
This is not a dish that my mum made growing up, I guess it was to plain of a dish for everyone to enjoy and most macaroni and cheese are made with an egg, so this dish was definitely out of the question.
I was watching The Pioneer Women and she was making Macaroni and cheese for her son Bryce, but it had a twist she added goat cheese.
I have never eaten goat cheese before, whenever I see it in the store, I move away. I always picture the goats udders when I hear goat cheese, my mind just goes there.
However I was brave this time around and decided to add it to the macaroni and let me just tell you one thing, I am always going to be adding goats cheese to my macaroni from now on.
The addition of the goat cheese, just gave the dish a whole new level, the cheese gives it a nice sharp taste and mmmm delicious.
- 500g x cooked macaroni.
- 1 x egg beaten.
- 110 g x butter.
- ¼ x cup cake flour.
- 2 ½ x cups milk.
- 2 x tsp English mustard
- 450g x grated cheddar cheese.
- 100g x goat cheese, crumbled.
- 1 x tsp salt.
- 1 x tsp black pepper.
- In a pot, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk together, allow to cook for about 3 – 5 mintues.
- Add in the milk and mustard powder, whisk to combined.
- When the mixture comes to the boil, remove about ¼ x cup of the mixture.
- Slowly pour the ¼ into the egg mixture and whisk to combined.
- Then pour the egg mixture into the pot and whisk till nice and smooth.
- And almost all the cheddar cheese, keep some to sprinkle over the top.
- Add the goat cheese, salt and pepper, stir till everything is melted and nice and thick.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked macaroni.
- Pour the mixture into a greased oven proof dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and pop into a preheated oven.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly.