Everyone once in a blue moon, I will gather my strength and whip up a batch of muffins.
When it comes to the flavour of muffins that need to be made in our household it becomes world war 3.
My mother only wants one kind, date and banana muffins, my father anything with carrots and when my uncle was around he only ate blueberry muffins, my brother eats anything that doesn’t contain chocolate and me well I love muffins that are smothered in chocolate… so you see where things get a bit complicated. Not everyone seems to be able get their favourite muffin every time.
And when people do not get their favourites made, everyone throws mini tantrums, so that is why whenever I make muffins, I tend to make flavours that no one seems to have on their favourite list.
I came across this recipe in the Simple Green meals recipe book. The book itself is 99% vegan and vegetarian friendly, minus this recipe. The original recipe contained two chicken eggs and well that just wouldn’t work in our household.
Seeing as we as a family can’t seem to agree on muffin flavours, we all seem to be able to agree on the fact that every treat in our household needs to be eggless.
So I did what I always do, I substituted my homemade vegan eggs for the chicken eggs.
The verdict, my mother loved it, the muffins were soft and fluffy on the inside and nice and crunchy on the outside.
Would I eat it again? You bet your last dollar I would.
- 1 x cup almond flour.
- 1 x cup cake flour.
- 2 x tbsp. crushed flaxseeds.
- ½ x tsp cinnamon powder.
- 2 x tsp baking powder.
- ½ x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- ½ x cup maple syrup.
- ¼ x cup vegetable oil.
- 2 x vegan eggs ( 2 x tbsp. crushed flax seed mixed with 6 x tbsp. boiling water).
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 1 x apple, grated.
- ½ x cup walnuts, chopped.
- Whisk together the almond flour, cake flour, crushed flax seed, cinnamon powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, vegetable oil, vegan eggs and vanilla essence.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk will well combined.
- Fold in the grated apple and chopped nuts.
- Fill a greased muffin.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.