In our area we very really have health food options that take the world by storm.
So the other day when I was standing in the line at the local spice shop, I saw a packet of matcha powder and my mind went into over drive.
I have had a recipe for a matcha cake since forever and seeing as I could never get my hands on the green powder, I just filed the recipe away. That was until my eyes were looking around at the store.
This is not an eggless cake recipe, but it is very healthy. Everyone enjoyed it seeing as we have never had anything green tea in our house before. Not even green detox tea lol.
When Mary Berry first tasted a matcha cake she said it tasted a bit grassy and well I have to agree with her, the cake was nice, but it did taste a bit grassy… maybe it was just a mind over matter thing.
Ingredients for the cake batter:
- 2 ¾ x cups cake flour
- 3 x tsp baking powder.
- ¼ x tsp salt.
- 2 ½ x tsp matcha powder.
- 227g x room temperature rama margarine.
- 1 1/3 x cups castor sugar.
- 4 x eggs at room temperature.
- 2 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 1 x cup milk
Ingredients for the icing:
- 554g x room temperature rama margarine.
- 3 ¾ x cups sifted icing sugar.
- 1 x tsp vanilla essence.
- 1/8 x tsp salt.
Method for the cake:
- Combine the cake flour, matcha powder and baking powder in a bowl.
- Cream margarine and castor sugar in a bowl, till light and fluffy
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well between each egg.
- Add the vanilla essence and beat to combine.
- Add the matcha powder and milk, whisk to combine.
- Divide the batter between 2 x 20cm cake pans that are well greased.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes or until the cast tester comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes in their pans, turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
To make the frosting, cream the margarine until light and fluffy, add the vanilla essence and beat and add a little icing sugar at a time and beat well till a nice smooth icing is achieved.
To assemble the cake, place the first layer on your cake board, spread a generous layer of icing ontop of this layer, place the second cake on top and then ice the entire cake.
Decorate as you like