I have been trying to make this recipe since the beginning of time.
What seems to be putting me off is the fact that this recipe asks for breakfast sauage.
I have never heard of it before, I have never seen it in the store and I have not tasted it before.
Every time I open my recipe book, I keep turning to this page and I really really wanted to try it out.
Sooo I decided that I would use boewors instead of breakfast sausge, which was perfectly fine with me and then the recipe said to remove the casing and I was horrified. I read somewhere that those sausage casings are made from sheep intestines, so every time I was squeezing the meat out of those casing I kept thinking of sheep poop. I can’t help it, my mind went there it kept going there.
Before I learnt what the sausage casing was made from I always always wanted to make homemade sausage, now… well now I have gone off sausages unless of cause the recipe asks for it.
I liked this recipe a lot, the meal itself was super filling and all those crispy pieces of bacon, potatoes and goeey cheese, just what I needed to kick start my weekend. Of course my dad was complaining there was too much food on the plate he would have to waste.
His bad luck was that I landed up being stuck in the post office for 2 and half hours waiting to get my license renewed and that food that he was complaining was too much had to be eaten for lunch. See I didn’t make too much to start off with, I had a plan all along.
- 2 x tbsp. butter.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 4 x slices bacon, fried till crispy and finely chopped.
- ½ x pound breakfast sausage, casings removed.
- 1 x red skin potato, cubed.
- Salt and pepper.
- 2 x eggs whisked together with a little milk.
- ½ x cup cheddar cheese, grated.
- Melt butter in a pan.
- Add onions, bacon and sausage.
- Cook till the sausage meat is done and the onions are soft.
- Add potatoes, season well and cook till the potatoes are soft.
- Pour in the egg mixture and stir till the mixture is almost cooked through.
- Add in the cheese and stir till the eggs are cooked.