The last time I made balls was a recipe from Ree Drummond way back in 2018.
I came across this recipe in Aart Paarti’s recipe book and it just looked so appetizing and seeing as I know have a big enough pan to make everything in, I decided why not make it and give it a try???
When I went to bed last time, I kept repeating to take out the mince before I left home, when I got up and went about my morning routine, I kept repeating take out the mince in my head and when I got to work and was busy making my morning coffee, I remembered guess what you forgot to take out the damn mince.
I was so stressed that I had to rush home, stick the package in boiling water so that it would quickly defrost while I got the other ingredients ready.
My father would not be a happy chappy if he has to eat past 7. His got soo many tricks, he can’t see a lot of food on his plate, it makes him full, he can’t eat past 6 otherwise he gets full to quickly and he can’t eat mince otherwise he gets indigestion… men I tell you.
I managed to get the food on the table at the exact moment he hooted to alert the entire world his home.
From the smells that very travelling around the house, he was super excited to see what was for supper an then when he lifted the pan lid and saw mince shaped balls that hungry pains vanished.
I loved them and the gravy that the meatballs were in super delicious with just a hint of chilli powder. Of course seeing as I did see my dad eating his plate of food like the meat balls were soo heavy to lift and he only dished 1 meat ball and a ton of gravy on his bread… I asked so tell me, how was it.
His delayed sad response, “ Ag, it is okay, a little bit salty but I am STILL alive.” Talk about being dramatic, a little extra salt never killed anyone, however having a mince meat ball thrown directly at your head, might just get you killed.
Let’s just say he wasn’t full because he was screaming from the room when he heard my mother making a cup of tea for a biscuit or something to nibble on. It will teach him to eat and be forever grateful.
What you think????
Ingredients for the meatballs:
- 500g x mince.
- 1 x red chilli, finely chopped.
- 2 x tsp ginger garlic paste.
- 2 x tbsp. coriander, chopped.
- ½ x tsp salt.
Ingredients for the curry:
- 3 x tbsp. oil.
- A few curry leaves.
- ½ x tsp mustard seeds.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 2 x tsp ginger garlic paste.
- 1 x tbsp. tomatoe paste.
- 2 x tomatoes, pureed.
- 2 x tsp coriander powder.
- 1 x tsp cumin powder.
- 2 x tsp masala.
- ½ x cup water.
- ½ x cup coconut milk.
- ½ x tsp salt
- Chopped coriander to garnish.
- Mix all the ingredients together for the meat balls.
- Shape into balls and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add the mustard seeds and allow them to start popping.
- Add the onions and salt and saute till the onions are transparent.
- Add the curry leaves and ginger garlic paste and mix.
- Add the tomatoes, cover and cook till the tomatoes have released their water.
- Add the spices and salt and mix till everything is well combined.
- Add the water and allow the mixture to come to the boil.
- Add the tomatoe paste and coconut milk and mix.
- When the mixture comes to the boil add the meat balls.
- Cover and cook till the meat balls are cooked evenly.
- Stir in the coconut milk and simmer on a medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.