I have always wanted to try a meat loaf, from the time I saw it being made on a movie I have been dying to try making it and tasting what it tastes like.
The recipes that I have come across on the internet have always been complicated and use ingredients that are not readily available in South Africa.
That was until I came across a simple easy recipe for mini mustard meat loaves with apple chips.
I have never had apple chips either, so when I came across this recipe I was really eager to give both the meat load and the apple chips a try.
Ingredients for the mini mustard meat loaf:
- 600g x mince.
- 1 x baby marrow, grated.
- 1/3 x cup bread crumbs.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- ½ x tsp black pepper.
- 2 x tbsp. Dijon mustard.
Method for the meat loaf:
- Mix the mince, the seasoning, the grated marrow as well the bread crumbs.
- Mix well, so that everything is nicely combined.
- Divide the mixture into equal parts and shape into a loaf.
- Brush with the mustard and place on a greased baking tray.
- To make the apple slices, slice 3 apples into wedges and remove the core and seeds, toss into a bowl with fresh rosemary, ½ x tsp cayenne pepper and 1 x tbsp. cooking oil, toss to coat well and then place it around your meat load.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 30 – 45 minutes until the meat loaf is cooked.
- Remove from the oven and generously brush the tops of the loaf with some more mustard and garnish with chopped chives.