I have heard this name on many a cooking show, the latest being Mary Berry’s show.
When I first heard of it, I thought it was a vegetable casserole, because it had aubergines in, but it was far from a vegetable casserole.
Also I was a bit sceptical to try making it because I am not a massive fan for aubergines both taste and appearance put me off, but seeing as this was a dish, I really really wanted to try out, I put on mu big girl panties and make it for lunch.
I came across a very easy recipe in Lisa Clarks book “Everyday.”
Of course I wouldn’t be me, if I did not tweak it here and there. For the cheese topping I had mozzarella balls and trying to grate those balls was a disaster so I opted for cheddar cheese instead.
I really really loved this dish I couldn’t stop eating it, I gave up on eating from the plate and opted to eat it straight out of the dish.
- 1 x batch basic bolognaise.
- 2 x large aubergines, thinly slices and lightly grilled.
- 1 x tsp cinnamon powder.
- ¼ x tsp all spice powder.
- a cup of grated cheese.
- White sauce ( 75g butter + 100g cake flour+500ml full fat warmed milk).
- Heat the bolognaise add the spice powder and cinnamon powder and give it a good stir.
- To make the white sauce, Melt the butter and add the cake flour, stirring for about 1 minute till bubbles start to form in the mixture. Slowly add the milk and whisk till well combined, cook till the mixture starts to thicken and remove from the heat.
- To assemble, layer an oven proof dish with the aubergines, then mince and then the white sauce making sure that you end with a layer of aubergines.
- Top with the grated cheese.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees till the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.