Thanks to the short days due to 10 days of temple, there is just not enough time in the day to cook every day.
Over the weekend, I attempted to meal prep, by making huge pots of about 5 different curries and splitting them into different dishes and labelling them for the different days of the week.
At first my parents were super excited to go ahead with this meal prep thing. But when Tuesday evening rolled around, they sat me down and asked what was I planning for tomorrow’s lunch, because they are tired of eating the same food.
I am not sure they get the whole meal prep planning for the whole 10 days…I did explain it clearly to them and they were all excited because and I quote, they don’t like to eat a lot when they fast… I am so disappointed in them, they only lasted 3 days!!!!
Of course before I left home home yesterday I cleaned out the fridge and defrosted it, so when they wanted something else for me to cook, there was zero greens in the fridge. The only things in the fridge was cheese and paneer. Both ingredients are not high on my dad’s list.
I keep telling him, I am not sure what kind of Indian he is, because Paneer is Indian cheese.
I decided to make Muttar paneer which is super easy to make and well my dad had no option but to try it out or else he would have to starve. He ate it, but not without grumbling and complaining paneer again. In my defence, I haven’t made paneer for about 2 months.
This recipe serves 3 people.
- 250g x paneer, cubed.
- 1 x tsp jeera seeds.
- 1 x green chilli, finely sliced.
- 1 x tbsp. tomatoe paste.
- ½ x tsp turmeric powder.
- 1 ½ x cups frozen peas.
- Pinch of sugar.
- ½ x cup water.
- Curry leaves
- Heat some oil in a pan and gently fry the paneer till lightly golden brown, remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Heat some oil in a pot.
- Add the Jeera seeds and curry leaves and cook till they start to lightly brown.
- Add the chilli, tomatoe paste and all the spices, stir to combine.
- Add the water and stir.
- Allow the mixture to come to the boil.
- Add the peas and mix.
- Cook till the peas are soft, couple of minutes.
- Add the paneer cubes and toss allowing the paneer to heat through, before removing from the heat.