Growing up, we never ate this.
If I remember correctly I ate this once when we were having a swimming meet in Cape Town and someone at the table ordered this and I tasted it, it tasted pretty delicious.
I tried ordering it again not so long after the swim meet with my parents and they warned me that it was not nice and not filling and I should rather order a burger but I was stubborn and landed up ordering a bit portion of Spur nachos and well as you can imagine how that went down.
I ate a couple of chips and when everyone else’s food arrived my nachos didn’t look that appetising anymore and landed up having a buffet from everyone’s plate.
That was the last time I ever ate nachos again we are talking about 23 years, give or take a year.
I came across a nacho recipe in a magazine and it looked like something I should really try to make seeing as I did buy a few tins of Kidney beans and my parents are not kidney bean fans. I kept putting off making these nachos till the other day.
I forgot to cook lunch for my mum and when lunch time came around she asked what was for lunch and then it hit me, I hadn’t cooked any veggies for her. I was going to make avo and toast, but since the Avo god hates me all the avocadoes in the bowl were way passed their use by date. That is when it hit me, why not try making nachos, its eggless and we did have a bag of Doritos laying around in the cupboard and I just happened to have a tub of store bought guacamole in the fridge, my lucky stars were aligned.
My mum was surprised, but these nachos, she loved them she couldn’t stop talking about them and my dad well his not that huge of a chip or kidney bean fan and when I dished up his plate he was screaming “NO NACHOS,” but since when do I listen? I piled his plate full of nachos.
- 2 x 55g Doritos cheese supreme.
- 250ml x salsa, I used a bottle of store bought Salsa.
- 250g x mozzarella, grated.
- A handful cherry tomatoes, halved.
- 1 x 410g Kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1 x fresh green chillie, sliced.
- Chopped coriander to garnish.
- Lemon/lime wedges for the side as well as crème fraiche and guacamole.
- In an oven proof dish, layer the doritos over the bottom.
- Spread the salsa over the chips.
- Add the grated cheese over the top.
- Pop into a preheated oven and grill at 180 degrees till the cheese has melted but not browned.
- Sprinkle the cherry tomatoes over the cheese.
- Top with the kidney beans.
- Garnish with the chillie and coriander.