Who doesn’t love French toast?
I love it, but to find the perfect side to go with it, is sometimes such a nightmare. You are supposed to have syrup with it. Seriously a huge sugar rush first thing in the morning is not really how I like to start my day.
So I just skip making French toast all together, until I came across this recipe in Nadiyah’s cookbook and she served it for a sweet dessert rather than a breakfast.
The dipping chocolate sauce on the side was a perfect combination and it hit all the right spots.
As we all know that ALL French toast is made with eggs, I have made one or two vegan friendly French toasts, but the colour just isn’t the same and neither is that taste.
When I stumbled upon this recipe, I decided it really was time to find different egg replacer alternatives, something to give an egg yellow colour naturally without actually adding artificial yellow food colouring to your food. Colouring is meant for icing cakes not to be eaten as part of a meal.
Google my old faithful informed me that 1 chicken egg could be substituted with 1 tbsp custard powder whisked together with 2 tbsp water… hey presto my prayers were answered. The custard powder would give the egg yellow colour, and with such small quantities of the custard powder the taste of the dish would not be altered. It wouldn’t become a custard toasted sandwich.
The verdict, I loved it. My mother first complained that it looked so rich, there goes her figure even before I finished placing the plate down in front of her. After she took a few bites, she was hooked and polished it all off in one sitting, not even a crumb was left over. My dad was another story all together, when I mentioned that I had French toast for dessert, he said straight no, he didn’t even want to look at it. So his opinion on the subject cannot be taken into consideration. Sorry dad.
- ¾ x cup milk.
- ½ x cup Nutella.
- Vegan eggs (6 x tbsp. whisked together with 12 x tbsp. water).****
- 1 x tsp vanilla bean paste.
- 8 x slices bread.
- ½ x cup smooth peanut butter.
- 4 x bananas, sliced.
- In a saucepan heat ¼ x cup milk.
- Slowly whisk in the Nutella, till nice and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ x cup milk, vegan eggs, sugar and vanilla bean paste.
- Spread each slice of bread with peanut butter.
- On one slice, place the slide bananas and then close the sandwich with the other slice of bread.
- Dip the sandwich in to the batter and shake off the excess.
- Place on a lightly greased hot pan.
- Fry on both sides, till nice and crispy.
- Repeat the process till all 8 slices of bread have been used.
- Serve with Nutella dipping sauce and a light dusting of icing sugar.
**** For meat eaters, it will be 6 x medium eggs.