I am not a huge fan of livers, but on the other hand, I always have a liss every now and then for some lekker strong fried livers with onions.
Then as I sit down to eat them, I keep picturing how the liver looks when you dissect them and then I just lose my appetite, I can’t help it. I did biology and I am forever haunted.
I came across this recipe in Cariema Isaacs, new cookbook and it seemed relative easy to make and then I came across an ingredient that I thought was strange.
Peri peri powder…. Mmm… I have never heard of that, never ever saw it in the stores or in the pantry. All I know of is Nandos peri peri sauce… I wonder if it could be the same thing.
Then I saw a lady at work eating slap chips and she was sprinkling peri peri powder over her chips. When I asked her where she got it from, she looked at me as if I was from another planet. Even when I told my parents how I was searching high and low for this peri peri powder, they could not stop laughing at me. What can I say, it stumped me. Who knew you could buy it at the local store….apparently everyone, expect me!
I loved this recipe, so lekker strong and you know me, I am not a huge lover of strong food that makes your nose run, but Ioved this. My father could not handle the heat, he downed a few glasses of milk after eating this and refused to eat it for supper. My brother was enjoying it, till I told him it was liver and he didn’t want to even look at it again… what is happening to the men of today? Wimps I tell you.
- 2 x tbsp. olive oil.
- 1 x red onion, finely chopped.
- 1 x tbsp. ginger garlic paste.
- 500g x chicken livers, cleaned and halved.
- ½ x tsp salt.
- ½ x tsp pepper.
- ½ x tsp lemon juice.
- 1 ½ x tbsp. tomato paste.
- 1 x tbsp. brown sugar.
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add the onions and saute till transparent.
- Add the livers and cook till they change colour.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and give it a good stir.
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add a few dashes of water to create a nice gravy and allow to cook for about 5 more minutes.