Every Sunday for tea time I like to make a cake.
Come Monday morning the remaining slices and divided between my dad and myself to take to our offices to share.
Although most of the remaining slices are eaten while is stand over the kitchen sink in the early hours of Monday morning. What can I say I love midnight snacking. Not good the waist line but perfect for the soul, especially with Valentines day looming over us.
Every where I look its hearts and love and cake makes that lonely feeling all better. Actually cake makes everything feel better and asks no questions.
If cake was a man, I would marry him and never never look back. Just my luck that cake is not a man but rather a comfort food.
To decorate this cake I stole one of my mother’s roses from her rose garden. I was using to crystalize it with egg whites and sugar, but then I forgot to look up the way of how to do it the vegan way. I only remembered this as I was breaking up the rose petals to decorate the cake.
The cake was lovely and delicious and although it had rose syrup in it, it was not overly sweet. Just the right amount of sweetness.
I made a double layered cake, so I just doubled everything for the cake as well as for the icing.
Ingredients for the cake:
- ½ x cup plain yoghurt
- 2/3 x cup soy milk.
- 1/3 x cup oil.
- ¾ x cup + 2 x tbsp. castor sugar.
- 2 x tbsp. rose water.
- 1 x cup + 2 x tbsp. cake flour.
- 2 x tbsp. corn flour.
- ½ x tsp baking powder.
- ½ x tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- ¼ x tsp salt.
- ¼ x tsp cardamom powder.
- 1/3 x cup pistachio nuts, chopped.
- In a bowl, sift together the cake flour, corn flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cardamom powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, milk, oil, castor sugar and rose water till all the sugar has been dissolved.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk till smooth.
- Fold in the chopped nuts.
- Pour into a greased 20cm round cake tin.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean.
Ingredients for the icing:
- 1 ½ x cups icing sugar, sifted.
- 1 x tbsp. margarine.
- 3 x tsp soy milk.
- ¼ x cup red rose syrup.
- Cream butter till light and fluffy.
- Add in the icing sugar and beat till well combined.
- Add in the milk and mix.
- Add the rose syrup and beat till everything is well combined.
- To assemble the cake, sandwich together both layers with the icing, ice the top of the cake and decorate with some chopped nuts and rose petals.