I have never heard of this dish before, I have never tasted it or seen anyone I know make it. I was really intrigued when I read up on the list of ingredients and then my heart fell… down 5000 steps and rolled out from the tips of my toes and landed on the cold cement.
The main ingredient for this dish is flattened rice better known as poha. Again I have never come across this ingredient before in my life.
That was until I was waiting in the line at the local spice shop and I saw the aunty in front of me adding a packet of poha to her basket, I was so shocked that there was actually poha in the same room as me.
I bought a couple of packets just to be on the safe side, you know my luck always runs out when I really need something for a recipe and it was in the store the day before when I didn’t need it, but as soon as I need the ingredient it stops being made or stops being stocked by the spice shop.
For a first time poha eater, I enjoyed it, I was a bit scared, not knowing what to expect would I like it???? It is a required taste, because I was really under the impression that it would taste like normally rice. Nope, it tastes better, softer and doesn’t leave that heavy feeling behind after eating it.
- 4 x cups poha.
- 2 x tbsp. oil.
- ½ x tsp mustard seeds.
- ½ x tsp coriander seeds.
- 1 x tsp turmeric powder.
- ¼ x cup red skin peanuts.
- 1 x tbsp. ginger, grated.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 2 x carrots, peeled and finely cubed.
- 1 x potatoe, peeled and finely chopped.
- ½ x cup froxen peas.
- 1 x dry chilli, finely chopped.
- 2 x tsp salt.
- 2 x tbsp. lime juice.
- 2 x tbsp. chopped coriander.
- Wash poha in cold water and then drain in a colander.
- Heat the oil in a pot.
- Add the mustard seeds and allow them to start popping.
- Add in coriander seeds and turmeric powder.
- Add in the peanuts and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the gingers and onions.
- Saute till the onions are transparent.
- Add in the potatoes and toss, allow them to cook till they start to brown.
- Add in the carrots and cook till they are soft.
- Add in the peas and dry chilli.
- Add in the poha and toss to mix everything.
- Finally add the lime juice and coriander and mix well so that everything is coated nicely and all the poha had turned yellow.