The only time I ate fried rice was like way way back in the 90’s.
When I went through I don’t like eating eggs phase, and I discovered that in some Chinese restaurants they put egg in their fried rice and then I went off fried rice all together.
Before the fast, I was trying to get rid of all the meat and fish that I had in the freezer, so that it wouldn’t go bad… even though I might be a tad bit dramatic seeing as the fast only lasts 10 days.
I had a packet of prawns that I really wanted to use, but to make a prawn briyani was just too much work and to make a prawn curry would also mean that I would need to make a rice dish with it to absorb all the gravy.
I was looking through my recipes when I came across a recipe for prawn fried rice that didn’t contain eggs… how happy do you think I was when I discovered that.
Ingredients for the rice:
- 2 x cups raw rice.
- 2 x tbsp. salt.
- 1 x tbsp. cooking oil.
- 1 x cinnamon stick.
- 6 x whole cloves.
- 1 x tsp fennel seeds.
- 6 x cardamom pods.
- 1 x tsp whole pepper
- Put everything in a pot and fill with enough water to cover the rice.
- Boil till the rice is soft, drain off the water and set aside.
Ingredients for marinating prawns:
- 500g x prawns, cleaned and deveined.
- Salt to taste
- 1 x tsp chilli powder
- 1 x tsp lemon juice
- 1 x tsp soy sauce
Method for the prawns:
- Mix everything in a bowl, cover and set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Ingredients for the prawn fried rice:
- 2 x tbsp. cooking oil.
- 2 x tbsp. ginger and garlic paste..
- 1 x green chilli, chopped.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 2 x peppers , deseeded and chopped.
- 1 x tsp soy sauce.
- 1 x tsp lemon juice.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 x tsp sugar.
- 1 x tsp pepper powder.
- Red onion sliced and coriander to garnish
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add in the prawns and cook them for 3 to 4 mins till it is curled and cooked. Remove it and set aside.
- In the same pan, add onions, garlic, ginger, green chillies and peppers.
- Saute till the onions are transparent.
- Now add in soy sauce, vinegar, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Add in the cooked prawns and toss well.
- Add in the rice and fry for 2 mins
- To finish, garnish with the sliced red onions and chopped coriander
One thought on “Prawn fried rice”
A lovely dish if no eggs are required it sounds tasty…:)