Who remembers the movie ratatouille??? I loved that movie growing up.
Since watching that movie, I have always wanted to try ratatouille, but I am yet to come across it in restaurants in my local neighbourhood.
I was reading one of my recipe books the other day, when I came across the recipe for ratatouille and I saw that it was actually a vegetarian dish… I was shocked.
If memory serves me well, in the movie they mentioned that ratatouille was a pheasant dish and I always assumed that it contained meat, I was very mistaken.
Served with warm garlic bread it is such a warm filling dish that I almost ate the entire dish myself.
Ingredients for the veggies:
- 2 x zucchini, sliced.
- 6 x tomatoes, sliced.
- 2 x yellow squash, sliced.
- 1 x brinjal, sliced.
- Basil spice and thyme to sprinkle over the top.
- Mozzarella sliced.
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 2 x tbsp. cooking oil.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- 4 x garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 x red pepper, deseeded and diced.
- Salt and pepper to season.
- 2 x tomatoes, grated.
- 2 x tbsp. basil spice.
Method for the sauce:
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add he onions, garlic, pepper and saute till the peppers are sof.
- Season with salt and pepper and basil.
- Add the grated tomatoes, give it a good stir and allow the mixture to come to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a greased oven proof dish.
- Arrange the sliced vegetables over the top of the tomatoe mixture.
- Sprinkle with thyme and basil.
- Pop into a preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees till golden brown roughly 45 – 60 minutes.