My mother has given up meat for over a year and a half and she eats almost anything I give her.
Be it, soya mince, baked beans, any soya products, potatoes, sugar beans, dhal, lentil…however there is one thing she will not eat no matter how many times I make it.
Drum roll please, that is the simple humble red kidney bean.
To tell you the truth, both my parents are not fans at all, I am not sure why not. I love the bean.
I came across a recipe in Chetna’s cookbook and at first when I mentioned to my mother what I was making her for lunch she was not impressed and asked if I could rather make her a packet of Curry 2 minute noodles.
Then when I hinted that I will now have to put the roti back in the freezer because she wants noodles, she immediately changed her mind. She was all super excited to eat kidney beans curry if it meant that she would also be getting roti.
Normally rotis are only served on Sundays but here I was bribing my mother to eat her lunch with roti during the weekday. The hoops I have to jump through to get these parents of mine to eat proper food.
She told me she loved the dish, not sure how much of the curry she liked, but I had some with toast and it was delicious, even if I must say so myself.
- 2 x tins kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1 x tbsp. oil.
- 1 x tsp cumin seeds.
- 1 x onion, finely chopped.
- ¼ s tsp salt.
- 2 x cloves garlic, crushed.
- 1cm x ginger, grated.
- 1 x can chopped tomatoes.
- 1 x tbsp. coriander powder.
- 1 x tsp chilli powder.
- 1 x tsp garam masala.
- 1 x tsp turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add the cumin seeds and cook till they start to darken slightly.
- Add the onions and saute till transparent.
- Add the salt, ginger and garlic, mix and cook for a couple of seconds.
- Pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Give it a good stir, cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Stir in the spices.
- Add the drained kidney beans and mix so that everything is combined.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes on a medium heat.
- Leave uncovered and cook for 5 minutes or until the gravy has reduced and the beans are visible.